Whoever one day decided that eggs, avocado and some form of bread should be eaten together, I am forever in debt to you. I am also grateful to Chris, my husband, who has made me a runny fried egg convert. He’s also helped me to appreciate country music, movies based on comic books and beer (which I’m not always so grateful for). Moving on. Oh man is this sandwich good! We typically have all of the ingredients for this in our kitchen, so it’s our go-to weekend breakfast. While it may not look healthy, I would argue that it’s not that bad for you. Eggs are a little power house of nutrition (protein, minerals, B vitamins and more) avocados provide the body with essential fatty acids and I don’t have to tell you how important eating leafy greens are. So eat up people! Scroll down for the recipe. However, this should hardly be labeled as a “recipe” as it’s really just piling a few scrumptious ingredients on a bagel. But there are a few essential things to remember. Use a fresh Everything bagel (you’ll get onion-y and poppy seed goodness!) and under cook your eggs allowing the yolk to drench the entire sandwich for a melt-in-your mouth, literally finger lickin’ good breakfast.
The Everything Bagel Sandwich:
2 Everything Bagels (Keep them in the freezer so they stay fresh. They thaw quickly)
4 slices bacon
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 handful spinach or kale
1/2 avocado, sliced
Parmesan cheese & black pepper
- Toast bagels and keep warm in oven.
- Fry bacon, reserving the grease.
- With the bacon fat, in a medium skillet on medium-high heat, cook eggs over easy until whites are set but yolks are soft and runny.
- In the same skillet, saute the spinach or kale just until soft and wilted.
- Assemble the sandwiches. Lay the greens on the bottom half of the bagel, then gently place the eggs, then the bacon, then a good grinding of black pepper and a generous portion of grated Parmesan. Spread avocado on the top half of the bagel and form the sandwich.
- Do your best to keep it all together and either cut in half or dig right in. I challenge you to be able to eat this with out egg yolk or avocado smeared all over your mouth and finger tips. Good luck!